This recipe includes Asian medicinal herbs that are good for digestion: ‘Bai Dou Kou’ and ‘Chen Pi’. We study these herbs in the class Oriental Herbology II. ‘Bai Dou Kou’ is in the category ‘Aromatic Transform Damp’ and ‘Chen Pi’ is in the category ‘Regulate Qi’.
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour (a gluten-free mix works!)
- 1.5 TBS grated orange zest (grated, fresh ‘Chen Pi’)
- 1.5 tsp ground Indian cardamom (similar to the Chinese ‘Bai Dou Kou’)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3-inch round or 2 3/4-inch square cookie cutter
Whisk together flour, orange zest, cardamom, and salt.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, then beat in yolk and cream. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until a dough forms. Chill for 30 min, then roll dough into small 1 inch balls, and bake for 9-14 min, or until done.